Thursday, May 28, 2009

Meet Cara

I grew up in Harrison, OH (near Cincinnati, for those of you unacquainted with Ohio's small towns), the oldest of six children (which proved a valuable way to gain important people skills). During high school, my family hosted an Irish student in our home through a program called the Ulster Project, an exchange program which paired Northern Irish teens from Protestant and Catholic families with students in various cities throughout the U.S. The goal of the project was to promote tolerance, friendship, and understanding between two historically troubled religious groups. I spent a month that summer with a group of American and Irish teens, participating in outings, picnics, and talent shows, as well as community service projects and serious discussions about relevant political and social issues. That experience sparked a lasting interest in and desire to learn about other cultures.

My educational background is in music: I received my bachelor's degree in piano performance from Lawrence University in Appleton, WI and then attended Yale to pursue a PhD in music history.
After many grueling hours of coursework, student teaching, and completing my dissertation, I decided to pursue a non-academic career that would incorporate my love of the arts and education. Last summer, I moved to Chicago to find work in the vibrant arts and culture community here. Following a freelance research position with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, I began my internship at the Alliance, which has been a phenomenal opportunity to learn the ins and outs of non-profit work. I enjoy the challenge and flexibility involved in tackling many different types of projects, from event planning and grant preparation to writing for the Alliance newsletter and blog. Perhaps my favorite aspect of this internship has been the chance to meet and interact with so many fascinating people and to get to know my new, adopted hometown through the eyes of Chicago's diverse communities.

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online