Monday, June 8, 2009

Meet Katie


During the summer of 2004 I participated in a program called Hands of Peace, which brought 20 teenagers to the Chicago area from the Middle East in order to foster long term peaceful coexistence among Jewish-Israelis, Arab Israelis, and West Bank Palestinians. As an American participant, I not only was able to gain valuable knowledge of the conflict plaguing those in the Palestine/Israel region, but I also became exposed to cultures different from my own, ultimately allowing me to recognize our common humanity. It was my experience with Hands of Peace that aroused my interest in learning about different cultures and my commitment to promoting public understanding of cultural diversity.

I just finished my junior year at the University of Notre Dame, where I am pursuing a double major in Arabic and Political Science. In order to explore the various cultures I had been learning about throughout my classes at school, I set off to Morocco last summer to continue my Arabic language studies and gain first-hand experience of Arab culture. I had such an amazing experience in Morocco that I decided to go abroad yet again, this time to London, giving me the opportunity to travel extensively throughout Europe and experience the many cultures Europe has to offer. I was able to learn so much during my time abroad and am excited to develop my knowledge and understanding of cultural diversity-in the city I call home- while simultaneously gaining experience with non-profit work through my internship with the Chicago Cultural Alliance.

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online